Scientific studies show that the causes of signs of skin aging are largely caused by environmental pollution . According to experts, only 20-30 percent of skin changes are caused by genetic factors. The remaining 70-80 percent are due to environmental influences such as air pollution and UV radiation .
The main factor in environmental skin aging is the sun or the UVA and UVB rays of the sun. If the sun is too strong, the skin reacts with redness and in extreme cases with swelling and pain, sunburn.
Pollutants from the environment also burden the skin in a less noticeable way and weaken the skin's protective barrier without us noticing. This weakening of the skin barrier increases the effects of UV radiation on the skin.
What is the consequence?
The lipids of the skin's protective barrier are attacked
Air pollution contains small particles called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. These particles support the formation of free radicals. These in turn attack the lipids of the skin's protective barrier. The result is that moisture is lost, which in turn means that foreign bodies can penetrate the skin more easily.
Free radicals cause reactions such as sensitivity of the skin, accelerated skin aging, which can manifest itself in pigment disorders, for example, or unpleasant reactions such as reddening and irritation of the skin.
How can we protect our skin?
Healthy skin or a healthy skin barrier can filter very well what is good or bad for you. However, we can support the skin well in the fight against UV stress and environmental pollution:
- During the day, especially in strong sunlight, use mineral UV protection. Chemical UV filters put additional strain on the skin
- When cleaning the skin, make sure that it is not too aggressive and that it is also adapted to the skin type. Use e.g. B. a mild oil cleansing . This even strengthens the skin barrier and the protective acid layer of the skin is not attacked. If you don't want to do without foam or soap,
then make sure that mild surfactants were used (shampoo & shower gel citrus thyme) . Sodium cocoyl glutamate, for example, is a plant-based surfactant that is also used in baby care.
- If the skin has been thoroughly cleaned in the evening, it is sufficient if the skin is only cleaned with a little water in the morning.
- Use of mild, low-irritant care products without fragrances, without alcohol, parabens, silicones or fillers.
- If the skin is already damaged, it can be built up in a targeted manner, for example with probiotic active ingredients and high-quality cold-pressed oils.
Active plant ingredients in care products such as white tea or green tea act as natural antioxidants and can help to neutralize free radicals.
For beautiful and healthy skin, a holistic approach should be taken. The right skin care is just as important as a balanced diet and a healthy mental balance. Create a relaxed morning and evening routine and treat yourself and your skin to regular downtime.