Scientific studies show that the cause of skin aging characteristics is largely caused by environmental pollution . According to experts, only 20 – 30 percent of skin changes are caused by genetic factors. The remaining 70-80 percent can be attributed to environmental influences such as air pollution and UV radiation .
The main factor for environmental skin aging is the sun or the sun's UVA and UVB rays. When exposed to too much sunlight, the skin reacts with redness and, in extreme cases, with swelling and pain, or sunburn.
Pollutants from the environment put additional strain on the skin and weaken the skin's protective barrier without us noticing it. This weakening of the skin barrier further increases the effects of UV radiation on the skin.
What is the consequence of this?
The lipids of the skin's protective barrier are attacked
Air pollution contains small particles called polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons. These particles support the formation of free radicals. These in turn attack the lipids of the skin's protective barrier. The result is that moisture is lost, which makes it easier for foreign bodies to penetrate the skin.
Free radicals cause reactions such as skin sensitivity, accelerated skin aging, which can manifest themselves, for example, in pigment disorders or unpleasant reactions such as redness and irritation of the skin.
How can you protect your skin?Healthy skin or a healthy skin barrier can filter out what is good or bad for you very well. However, we can support the skin well in the fight against UV stress and environmental pollution:
- Use mineral UV protection during the day, especially in strong sunlight. Chemical UV filters put additional strain on the skin
- When cleaning the skin, make sure that it is not too aggressive and is adapted to the skin type. Use e.g. B. a mild cleansing with almond oil . This even strengthens the skin barrier and your skin's protective acid mantle is not attacked. If you don't want to do without foam or soap, then make sure to use mild surfactants (facial cleansing with white tea) .
- If you cleanse your skin thoroughly in the evening, it is enough to cleanse your skin with just a little water in the morning.
- Use mild, low-irritant care products without fragrances, alcohol, parabens, silicones or fillers.
- If your skin is already damaged, it can be repaired in a targeted manner, for example with probiotic active ingredients and red algae.
For beautiful and healthy skin, you should definitely take a holistic approach. Proper skin care is just as important as a balanced diet and a healthy mental balance.
Create a relaxed morning and evening routine and treat yourself and your skin to regular breaks.